Tuesday 2 October 2012

Turtle Hero

One sad thing I have noticed on the roads of Missouri is the amount of road kill I have been seeing.  This road kill has been predominantly Armadillos and Turtles, but I am doing my bit to sort the roads out!


Peekaboo!
The reason I think there are so many Turtles that don't make it to the other side of the road is simple.  A Turtle, out for his Friday afternoon stroll, crosses a road.  Suddenly a car comes past and the Turtle gets scared, so retreats to the safety of his shell.  Within the safety of his shell it is ironically then just a matter of time.

So as I have travelled through West Kansas and Eastern Missouri I have been rescuing the little guys, picking them up and putting them safely in the grass verge.

This guy didn't want to be carried and walked with a little encouragement!




Missouri has been very green, wet and hilly.  Just like home!  The people of Missouri have been fantastic and I look forward to every food stop just to chat to some more locals.  As I have been cycling through woodland for two days, I don't have many photos, it all looks the same!








Tomorrow I shall leave Missouri before I briefly hit Illinois and Kentucky.  Then (on Tuesday) I turn south, another massive milestone in my journey across the states!

1 comment:

  1. Missouri! You should buy some gigantic fireworks at a roadside stand. Keep at it, Richard! You're an animal.

    ReplyDelete