Monday 15 October 2012

My Redneck Induction

So, my last night night in Alabama and I met my first (self confessed) Rednecks!

I was wandering around the campsite after a hot day in the saddle (looking for the showers) when I stumbled across my Redneck family; unfortunately I can't remember all their names so won't attempt them!

I was told to be a Redneck you need to:

  • Say 'y'all' a lot;
  • Eat lots;
  • Have bad table manners;
  • and have a good time around the camp fire, making plenty of noise (until 10pm quiet time!)
Turns out, I make a pretty good Redneck  (although my accent needs a little work).

So, after learning how to be a Redneck, I had my first night as a Redneck.  It was a corker; I was fed burgers, hotdogs & cake and I had a great night talking about our respective lives.  Good food, good company and good chat.



The thing that I loved most, was the BBQ.  This badboy is actually towed as a trailer behind a truck!  I didn't even bother mentioning my BBQ at home as it would have been embarrassing.



That is a lot of piggy!


In the UK, the phrase "Redneck" conjures all sorts of negative stereotypes, I have also been told to look out for Rednecks by Americans so I imagine it is the same here.  Well my night in the Conecuh Forest goes to show how wrong stereotypes can be.

So, Alabama and the deep south are now done and I am in my final leg; 1,000 miles of Florida sunshine.  That means my stupid tan lines are only going to get stupider from this point onwards.....oh boy!

Breakfast BBQ!!!

1 comment: