Thursday 25 October 2012

Oh Sandy, Why-eye-eye???

Tonight I am holed up in a motel, worrying about whether I will make it to Key West to complete my journey!

The reason, hurricane Sandy is banging about and as a result there is currently a Tropical Storm warning in place in West Palm Beach (Florida), where I currently am.


I have been glued to the TV most of the night and it seems that, the hurricane is not expected to hit Florida, however the effects will be felt on land and I may be forced to sit out the storm for two days.  As the hurricane passes east of the coast, winds are expected to reach 40-50 mph and expect that it will be nearly impossible to cycle in those conditions (even though they’re forecasting tailwinds).

The good news is that I am ahead of schedule, the bad news is I won’t get my planned pootle through the Florida Keys; assuming the forecasts are accurate!


This song sums it up nicely

So the plan?  That’s easy, I’ll get up in the morning and get ready as if I was going to cycle.  Then I will watch a bit more of the Weather Channel and look out the window before making a decision.  Looking at the map, I have plenty of options for accommodation, but rest assured I won’t be riding if I can’t keep Holly in a straight line (especially with the drivers of Florida around me)

No comments:

Post a Comment