Saturday 20 October 2012

The Sweet Smell of the Ocean

Today was a historic day for me; I reached the Atlantic Ocean.   I can now put 'cycled coast to coast of the USA' on my CV!  Of course, the plan is to cycle the 'corners' of the USA, but it is nice to have a tick in the box!

I surprised myself how emotional I was at seeing the Ocean; especially as I don't even like beaches!  




The moment from today that I will never forget was smelling the sea / salt water.  It was incredible.  

I smelt the salt water about 2-3miles before I arrived at the beach as I crossed a sea water river.  

The second the scent of sea water went up my nose the most amazing feeling swept through my body, the hairs on my arms and legs stood up and, yes.....I cried like a little girl!!  It was an unforgettable feeling and one I wish I could bottle, I can only imagine how good it will feel to run out of land to cycle in Key West on 1 November.  I can't wait now.

One thing I wasn't ready for was how restricted access to the beach is in the USA, I had to cycle 2miles along the beach road before I found public access to the beach!

So to celebrate my achievement I am writing a blog by torch light (being attacked by bugs!) with a nice cold can of Icehouse lager.  I might have two cans of lager in Key West!



3 comments:

  1. That is some achievment, hats... sorry, helmets off to you sir. Good luck with the rest of the journey/adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Richard. Enjoy Kennedy Space Centre, its well worth the visit. The Saturn 5 rocket is huge, but then everything on the site is huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is huge, except the food portions!

      Delete