Wednesday 10 October 2012

Happy Fall Y'all


I remember the date it first started happening.  I remember the date as the vision seemed so ridiculous.  On 29th September I saw my first Halloween decorations.

There are many differences between the UK and the USA and the importance attached to Halloween is one of them, in the UK Halloween is an excuse for kids to cause trouble for one night, in the US it is celebrated by all.



After seeing my first Halloween decorations, I have been seeing pumpkins and scarecrows in gardens on a daily basis.  It turns out, that although a lot of the decorations are for Halloween, they are also to celebrate the start of fall (autumn) and apparently some people have decorations out for most the year for one occasion or another.



It is purely coincidence that Halloween is the final night of my trip, but as I see more and more pumpkins in gardens it is a constant reminder that the end of my trip is in sight.  As I write this I have 22 days of my adventure left.  I intend to make the most of every single mile I cycle, savouring the scenery, culture, food and people …..as much as I could do with a day off (my legs ache), I don’t want this experience to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment