Saturday 27 October 2012

Caught by the Fuzz



When I planned my cycle across the USA, I decided the one detour I wanted to make was to see a Space Shuttle (it turns out it was only 6 miles from my route, so not much of a detour!).  So on Tuesday, I took a trip to Kennedy Space Centre and ticked something off my bucket list (i.e. seeing a space shuttle!).



Sadly in the USA, the car is king.  As a result, there is not much public transport and, as with my other two days off, I was forced to cycle.  It was only 7 miles to the visitor centre and I was able to leave my heavy bags behind, so as rides go it was pretty easy.

The problem with the ride was the road.  I would not recommend SR405 to anyone on a bike!  The ride out in the morning was unpleasant, but quiet.  On the way back it was a different story.  A very intimidating busy road and I was feeling uncomfortable riding it.  Believe it or not, it was with some relief when I heard the bleep of a police siren behind me; I knew help may be at hand!



The reason the policeman had pulled me over is the road is closed to cyclists 3-6pm everyday; I had cycled past the information sign without seeing it.  The policeman was in a patrol car so he couldn’t help me, so he called NASA security to come and get me off site.  I was given a lift by Eric, who it turns out is a nice bloke and also a fellow cyclist and triathlete.  We had a nice chat; but I’ll leave that bit out when I retell the tale back in the UK and just tell people how he had a gun.

A great ShelterBox ambassador, after a run in with the police!



No comments:

Post a Comment