Friday 19 October 2012

The Beard

People following my journey and the photos I have posted can not have failed to notice the 'beard' I am currently sporting.


The plan was simple, grow the beard for a few weeks, just to see what it would look like.  I do not grow good facial hair and I figured my three months away was a great time to just see what it would look like, away from the everyday comments I would encounter in my normal life.

So, the time came to shave the beard after about 6 weeks.  Unfortunately this time was when I was cycling through Kansas and Missouri, when well equipped restrooms were hard to come by (I camped in City Parks most nights!).  So as time passed and I arrived into Mississippi with the 'beard' intact I decided it should stay.  So now I am keeping the beard until Key West.  

The beard is scruffy and gets in the way when eating, but by far the worst is it's bug catching abilities; in Florida there seem to be clouds of little bugs on the road.  When you cycle through these you collect loads of little bugs in your leg/arm hair.......and naturally in the 'beard'.  But despite this, I now feel that the beard is part of the journey and I don't think the last two weeks would be the same without it.

Rest assured, my no.1 job when I finish is to hack it off, but until then the beard stays!  Good news for all you beard fans out there.

My beard, if I was cycling around the world
(now there's an idea...............)!

No comments:

Post a Comment