Monday 3 September 2012

Non-Smokin'!

So my last post was about Wild Fires.  Thought it only fair to update you and assure you that I am alive and well!

As I previously wrote, the wild fires had left the entire valley of the Clearwater River choked with smoke, with reports of thick smoke and poor visibility.  I have to be honest, after a good nights sleep I woke up the following day and had forgotten all about the fires.  That memory loss was helped by the fact that the smoke had cleared overnight.

As the fires were some 40miles from the campsite I stayed in, the breeze that had whipped up overnight had cleared the smoke and the air was back to normal.  So off I set up Clearwater River; what was a day I was a bit apprehensive about (wildfires plus 66 miles with no services), turned out to be a magical day!

I did cycle within a few miles of the wildfires, but was kept smoke free by the breeze.  This may sound a little crazy to some back home, but the fires are carefully monitored by Park Rangers and access controlled accordingly.  It is quite reassuring.

FIRE!

Clearwater River

There are two things I dread when cycling; the cold and the wind.  But just this once the wind came in on my side.  The following morning it was the turn of the cold, -2.3C!  This was not on my side.

A roadside friend

No comments:

Post a Comment