Wednesday 26 September 2012

Kansas


I write this as I approach half way through the state of Kansas; and I am a broken man!  My plan for Kansas was to drop the hammer and gets some big miles in.  I knew Kansas would be flat and, dare I say it, boring; so the plan was always to hit some big days so I can take my time more when things get more interesting.

ANOTHER Grain Elevator!

The problem with this plan has been an unexpected headwind!  For two days now I have had a headwind.  This is both soul destroying and energy zapping.

The winds started on Saturday, and Saturday morning I completed the first 10 miles in a time similar to what I would run it in in normal conditions!  Since then the wind has eased slightly, but I am still travelling around 30% slower than I would expect.  One little break from the headwinds came in the form of a tractor.  This tractor overtook me and with a bit of effort I managed to pick up and speed and follow the tractor closely, and thus got some shelter from the wind.  I followed this tractor for 4 miles and right at the end of the day, so a great moral booster.




Headwinds aside, there isn’t too much to say about Kansas so far!  As I have been spending so long on the bike the last few days, I have not met as many people as usual and the roads are long, straight and flat.  The scenary is farmland, although it does alternate through wheat, sunflower, cattle, maize, grass etc etc.  As I am getting into the eastern half of the state, things are getting slightly more interesting to look at and I will always remember the first tree I saw in Kansas; I will never take such a scenic feature for granted again!

Another feature of Kansas has been the camping.  Kansas is a fabulously welcoming place and allow cyclists to camp free of charge in city parks.  The problem with this is there are not generally any showers in city parks.  Imagine my delight when in Nickerson city park I discovered a shower room.  My delight was tempered a little by the realisation that it was a cold shower.  It is a sign of how my life has changed over the last six weeks that I am now pleased to get a cold shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment