Wednesday 19 September 2012

Hump Day!!

If I look cold, I was!  There was snow on the ground in places!

Today is Hump Day for my journey.  I may not quite be half way through my ride in the USA, but today feels like the halfway point!

Two reasons:


Today I crossed the Continental Divide for the seventh and final time; it was also the highest altitude I will reach on my trip (11,542 ft);


The other is my trip of 90 days included my days cycling to get to Neah Bay from ShelterBox in Cornwall, so I may not quite be half way through my time in the USA, but I am halfway through my adventure.





I have mixed emotions about reaching halfway; part of me can't wait to finish, but a much bigger part of me doesn't want this trip to end.

The things I am looking forward to most when I finish are the simple things, in particular  packing.  Every morning I have to pack up everything I own into 5 small bags and even in a rush it takes 20-30 minutes, probably the thing I dislike most about my journey.  

However, this trip is everything I hoped it would be and more.  Yes, the cycling has been tough in places, I have been cold, wet and miserable at times on this trip but the scenary and experiences I have had have more than made up for that!


Colorado has been a fantastic state to cycle through, plenty of hills and scenery to keep a cyclist happy.  The autumn colours appearing in the trees were a constant reminder that bad weather is on it's way.  It looks like (touch wood) I will have made it out of the Rockies just in time as I only have two days of downhill cycling before I am back to 'normal' altitudes.

Next up Kansas.  I have been told to expect flat plains with copious tail winds.  I'm not banking on that though!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you didn't include any of us in the "simple things" you are missing!!

    ReplyDelete