Saturday 8 September 2012

Montana

So today I reached West Yellowstone, which means that I am about to enter my fifth US state (Wyoming) and the odds on me being eaten by a bear have gone up quite considerably.  That doesn't mean to say the odds on me being eaten by a bear are high; but I am now in bear country, so the risk has inevitably increased!


No bears as yet!


Montana has been a great state, like the four before it.  The only problem with Montana has been the smoke!  It has ruined so many views and photo opportunities.  Despite the smoke, it has been clear to see why Montana is known as big sky country, with towering mountains ranges on either side of me as I cycle through farmland plains.

Two of my highlights of Montana:

Virginia City

When the west of America was being discovered, gold was found in the river in Virginia City in the late 1800s.  This paved the way for hundreds of people to move west in search of their fortune.  Unfortunately after 30 years as a gold mining town Virginia City was bled dry and people moved on.

Rather than be left to ruin, Virginia City has been restored and is now a snap shot into life back in the 1890s.



   



Quake Lake

In 1959 an earthquake struck, which triggered a landslide.  This landslide blocked the Madison river and created a new lake.  Hence the name, Quake Lake.  What I loved about Quake Lake is the simplicity of what happened, and how obvious it is to tell what happened.  You can still see where the mountain collapsed and there are even dead trees in the lake where the new lake was formed.

Sadly, 28 people were killed when the earthquake struck.

You can see more here



So now onto Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park. Before the trip this was one of the stages I was most looking forward to, so I'm pretty excited about what's to come. However I will be a happy man if, 10 days from now, I have still not seen a bear!

1 comment: