Tuesday 26 June 2012

Tinman!



Pre Race, Breathing in
 My training plan for the USA was to complete a middle distance triathlon, i.e. half of an ironman triathlon……or a Tinman!  The theory is if I can race a 1900m swim, an 86km bike and a 20km run, then I am fit enough to average 100km a day in the States.  Time will tell if my theory works!

My training was completed on Sunday as I did the Marlow middle distance triathlon!

The race was good fun.  After a tussle for position, the swim went well.  The course was up and back a section of the river Thames; the downstream section was fast being carried along by the river the upstream section was slightly harder work!

Out the water, struggling with my zip
Bike in!  Just a 20km run to go.
The bike was on 86km of wet and windy roads.  I made the mistake of cleaning my bike prior to the triathlon.  My road bike is white, so every time I hit a puddle my heart sank a little bit knowing the state I was getting my previously spotless bike into……..and I hit a lot of puddles! 

Owwwwwww.  But I'm finished!!
The run was challenging, and painful.  The 20km was done by running four laps of a 5km course, the flat course followed a tow path before turning back through residential housing.  Unfortunately due to the rain the night before, the tow path had got a bit muddy, making part of the path more suitable for skating than running!  This guy came off a bit worse than me…….





I finished the triathlon in a time of 5hrs 12mins.  Pretty chuffed with my time as I know I got the best out of myself on the day, although my toilet stop did waste a few seconds.

So now I am fully fit for the states.  For the next month I will be putting on a bit of weight and getting out on the bike for long rides (when our great British summer allows*)!




Mud during Glastonbury weekend, there is no escape!
I look happy, but I wasn't; that beer they gave me was warm.

* I realise I may have rain in the states; but if going out in it is optional, I'll probably stay on the sofa!


No comments:

Post a Comment