Wednesday 15 August 2012

On Your Marks

So today I reached the start line of the ‘Corner to Corner’ journey, Neah Bay.  I have had a great time in the states since I arrived on Friday. 

I was met from the ferry by Jim, a rotary club member who lived in Sequim, just down the road from Port Angeles where my ferry docked.  Jim was a great help, offering to drive me to the nearest supermarket so I could get a US SIM card for my phone……..simple.  Well, it seems that SIM cards are not quite as common in the USA as they are in the UK, it took us a couple of hours to find a SIM and I still don’t have it working!  Sorry Jim.  He did inform me that I had saved him from some yard work, which helped appease my guilt.

In the evening I camped a mere 18 miles west of Port Angeles, (due to having spent most my day catching up with home and trying to activate SIM cards).  When I arrived at the campsite, it was deserted, but I was soon joined by an American family (of eight!) who invited me over to join their camp fire.  I had a cracking time learning about the differences between the UK and the USA, although I am still a bit puzzled on the Super Bowl!

Next stop was Sekiu.  A small little fishing village whose population will be decimated when all the monster RVs move out!  My camping spot is a treat, up the hill overlooking the bay (see pic), the only problem was there were no other campers so I took time to catch up with correspondence and plan a few days of cycling.



My first few nights in the USA have been great, last night two ladies asked about my trip while I was pitching my tent; they returned 20 minutes later with food and drink supplies to keep me going, even throwing in a can of beer!

Having ticked off Neah Bay I will head south, back to civilisation; it’s all a bit quiet around the Northwest corner!!





1 comment:

  1. Good luck matey. Looking forward to following your blog all the way.

    ReplyDelete