Thursday 23 August 2012

Camp Yale

So last night, I was tired and weary after a day in the saddle (my usual state around 5-6pm!) and I set about finding a campsite in McKenzie Bridge, OR.  McKenzie Bridge was the last place to stay before taking on McKenzie Pass.

The view from McKenzie Pass

The were loads of campsites in the area, but I pressed onto McKenzie Bridge passing by many of them.  The first campsite I stopped in (Paradise) looked nice enough, but was $20 with no showers...... to call a campsite Paradise, this is surely a pre-requisite.

Anyway, I pushed onto the next site safe in the knowledge I still had a few options.  The next 'campsite' I tried was Camp Yale.  When entering Camp Yale it soon became apparent that is was an RV park with no tent in sight; undeterred I asked a few of the ladies around the site.

So after asking about  camping, I was offered a patch of grass next to an RV.  Before I knew it, I was sat with 22 people with a plate of food on my lap and a glass of wine in my hand!  It turns out the people in the RV park were all friends; they took me in and looked after me for the night.  I had a great time getting to know everyone, although I'd be in trouble if I was tested on their names.  In the morning I was made breakfast and given lunch for the day (which was very welcome at the top of McKenzie Pass)!  It was a fantastic experience, and a special thank you to Kay and Carl who invited me into their RV for breakfast, I am a bit of fan of RVs so it was fantastic to dine inside one.  Sadly, I forgot to take a picture; but for my UK readers: it was about the same size as my flat!

The folks at Camp Yale (and me)

I will be popping into RV parks and looking lost a bit more often as this trip continues!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Richard,
    It was nice to meet you on the way up the old McKenzie Highway. It's quite a ride, isn't it? I hope you enjoy the rest of Oregon as well. Best wishes for a safe trip overall.
    Mark Corley
    Eugene, Oregon

    ReplyDelete