Thursday 29 March 2012

The Daily Fix

I am off on my one and only warm up cycle over easter; the current plan is to head down towards Exmoor, which could be quite an ordeal based on this weather forecast! (yes, SNOW!!).  More on that another time.


Anyway, the ride is my first and last chance to try out all my new gear.  My biggest concern about the USA cycle trip is being able to make a good coffee each morning.  I figured it was worth giving it a go at home before I set off to ensure I am not waking up to a sub-standard coffee over easter weekend and in the states.


The obvious solution is to make instant coffee, but I like my coffee.  There are options for ground coffee on a bike, the Handpresso was a particular favourite of mine.  However, this gucci bit of kit costs £60 and my budget is already stretched, plus the less kit the better.


So, the solution?  I decided to try this technique for making fresh coffee.  In short you stir and reheat the coffee until the grounds have gathered at the bottom of the pot and then just pour off your coffee.  


It worked a treat.


So, the verdict??  I'll let you know; it seems easy enough at home, but as with most things it's a whole different story out on the road.  One thing is for sure, I need a new cup as this one tasted of rubber!


Thanks www.travellingtwo.com for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment